- 2-1/2 cup Flour
- 1 cup Butter, chilled and cubed
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 8-10 Tablespoons Ice Water
- 2-1/2 cup Strawberries, sliced
- 4 cup Rhubarb, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Minute Tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3 Large Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 Tablespoon Milk
- 2 Tablespoon Sugar
- Using either a pastry blender or food processor, mix together the flour, butter, sugar, and salt until a well combined. It should be somewhere between sand and peas in size and texture.
- Slowly add ice water to the mixture 1 tablespoon at a time using only your fingertips to mix. Continue adding water until the mixture starts to come together. Split evenly and form into two discs, wrap in plastic, and freeze 25 minutes. **Wrapping the dough and letting it sit is an important step. Doing this allows the flour to further absorb moisture without sacrificing texture and chilling it lets the butter harden to create a flakier crust.**
- Roll the first disc out onto a floured surface. Turn the dough 1/4 turn between each roll to help create a more uniform shape. Seal any cracks in the dough as they form. Roll to about 1/8 inch thick and place in the bottom of a pie plate, piercing the bottom several times with a fork or knife.
- Roll out the second half of the dough and set aside.
- Mix all filling ingredients together in a large bowl. Blend well until the mixture looks uniform. Add filling to crust.
- Add the second crust over the filling. Seal the edges and cut slits into the top of the pie.
- Brush the top of the crust with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 375°F for 75 minutes. **To save yourself cleaning time later, place foil or a baking sheet under the pie to catch any juices that may over flow.**
- Remove from oven and cool completely before serving. (Best if refrigerated overnight before eating.)
- Slice and enjoy!
Make dough and chill before rolling.
Roll crust out 1/8 inch thick.
Mix filling ingredients together in a large bowl.
Add Filling to crust.
Add top crust, brush with milk, and sprinkle on sugar.
Bake pie in 375°F oven.
Serve and enjoy!