Potato soup is a very flexible recipe. Feel free to add or remove items as you like. Cream cheese, sour cream, bacon, green onion, corn, etcetera are all exciting add-ins. Experiment and find what your favorites are!
- Ham Bone or Smoked Ham Shank
- 2-1/2 cup Ham
- 2 lbs. Potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 4 Stalks Celery, chopped
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 2 cup Half and Half
- 2 cup Shredded Cheese (any flavor, pick your favorite)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Horseradish
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoon Pepper
- Put ham bone and bay leaves in a stock pot, cover with water and simmer for at least an hour.
- Remove ham bone from stock pot and add potatoes, ham, celery, and carrots. Continue simmering pot.
- In a small saucepan, heat butter over medium-low heat. Once melted, add onion and garlic, saute until the onion is soft. Add onion and garlic to stock pot with ham and vegetables. Continue simmering pot.
- In a small bowl, stir flour, salt, and pepper. Add 1 cup of half and half to make a roux. Add roux and remaining half and half to the pot.
- Once the soup starts to thicken, add the cheese and horseradish.
- Before serving remove bay leaves.
- If soup becomes too thick it can be thinned with water. If the soup is too watery, you can make more roux and add to the pot to thicken it up. This is to be done to your liking.
- As always, ENJOY!