- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Flank Steak (about 1-1/2 lb)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup Onion, sliced
- 6 oz. Mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup Tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup Whiskey (or Beer)
- 2 Chilies in Adobo Sauce (about 2 T)
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 2 Tablespoon Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Hot Sauce (any type)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 2 oz. Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup Cornmeal
- 2/3 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Corn Kernels
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Canola Oil
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tablespoon Sour Cream
- 3 oz Cheddar Cheese, divided
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- In a 10.25″ Skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add flank steak and sear on both sides. Remove from pan, and let sit 15 minutes before cutting into thin strips. Set aside.
- After the steak is removed, add bell peppers and onion to the same skillet. Saute 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and tomatoes, simmer another 5 minutes.
- Return steak to pan, and add whiskey, chilies in adobo, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Mix together, continuing to simmer.
- In another bowl, add flour and water: mix together and then add to skillet.
- Mix everything together. Turn off heat and top with cheese.
- Mix cornmeal, flour, corn, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Make a well (indent) in the center of the dry ingredients and add milk, oil, egg, sour cream, and 2 oz cheese.
- Mix together until just combined and there are not longer any dry pockets. This prevents over-mixing.
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Pour cornbread mixture over the filling ingredients in the skillet. Top with remaining 1 oz of cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the cornbread is golden and fully cooked.
- Immediately once removed from the oven, spread honey over the top of the cornbread.
- Let cool 5 minutes then spoon out and enjoy!